Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pressure Fit Box: Portable Urn.

For my last metals project of the semester we had to make pressure fit boxes. She really stressed the idea of concept for this last project. What the box looks like has to reflect what it would be used for, sort of thing. For the first thing I original thought of was Pandora's Box and while researching I discovered that Pandora's Box wasn't actually a box, it was one of those things that had gotten lost in translation. It was during this I discovered these Greek Funeral vases. I was fascinated by the imagery and patterns:


Obviously I would have to make one on a much smaller scale. While working on sketching I was reminded of the small fertilely dolls that we would carrying with us when we were still a hunter/gathering society. We had moved around so much that we could build monuments and instead we carried them in our pockets. So my urn became a portable memorial. One can carry it with them and in a more symbolic way store their memories of things that have come to past. 

front

back

inside

* copper, pierced pieces sweat soldered on, & oxidized with liver sulfur to age it

No comments: