Saturday, May 19, 2012

Metals: Doctor Who

Wow, this project took me all semester to finish.... well not really..... anyways....

This isn't really a complicated piece to explain. For the first project in metals we were given the the assignment to create a contemporary coin. I was thinking about Time Lord  money. Did they have money? If they did, would it actually tarnish it over time? Would the Doctor carry change in his pockets like the rest of us?

The design was based on Gallifreyian writing, which is a language from the sci fi show, Doctor Who. I wanted one side to say LORD, and then the other side to say TIME, which it did. I also kind of wanted the idea of the Tardis translating it to be kind of apparent.




* 3 sheets of 18 gauge copper, liver sulfured for the pierced out pieces

(I thought I'd be the only one to be this nerdy.... but there was a Star Wars coin, a steampunk inspired coin, and a Lord of the Rings coin at the critique so it was nice not being alone.)

I also made a tardis ring this semester, which is a design I'm hoping to sell one day:




No comments: